Snakes, Spiders, and Jellyfish OH MY! Follow this blog through our countdown to the most poisonous animals in the world!

Number 4: The Blue-Ringed Octopus

blue-ringed-octopus-1You don’t know how excited I am to finally get to talk about an octopus. Octopi are pretty much my favorite animals. So, my loverly readers, here is a post about an octopus. It warms the cockles of my heart to share this moment with you. Enjoy!

When at rest, this peaceful little octopus is just a normal blue-blooded three-hearted, yellow and brown spotted octopus, but when it gets angry, a series of fifty to sixty electric blue rings appear on its body to warn you that it is not to be messed with. (OCTOPUS RAGE!!!!) While other octopi squirt ink when threatened (“Awwwww, you guys made me ink” – Squirt from ‘Finding Nemo’” ) the blue-ringed octopus has elastic, ink filled sacks that stretch when the octopus is threatened, pulsating and releasing the blue ink just bellow the skin.

This, however, doesn’t replace the animal’s ink. Instead of ink, they create a saliva that is extremely venomous. Actually, I’m kind of excited. This venom is a tetrodotoxin, the same as the pufferfish. Which saves me a lot of explaining.

Why is this number 4 then? Well, the venom is about 10,000 times more potent than cyanide and this animal produces much more of it and can bite you with its parrot-like beak and inject the venom directly into your system, killing you in about 180 minutes.

According to an episode of “World’s Deadliest Animals – Australia” they don’t have to bite something to release the venom, either. Since it is the same organ as the ink sac in other octopi, they can just squirt the venom into the surrounding water, effectively killing their prey, which they snatch up and make fools of by eating them. Don’t mess with an octopus. It’s¬†embarrassing.

By the way, this octopus is too cool for antivenom. It simply doesn’t exist. (just like my friend banjobetty).¬†Not bad for an animal about the size of a golf ball.

Posted by on April 8, 2011 at 3:35 am | Comments & Trackbacks (1)